Homelytainment earn commissions (at no additional cost to you) if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
A ceiling speaker is the best option for Dolby Atmos and the second zone audio in any other part of the house. But can you use ceiling speakers for the TV?
At A Glance: You can use ceiling speakers for TV, but using them alone is not a great idea because your brain won’t connect well to the concept of people moving lips on the screen and the dialogues showering from above. The brain will be confused and will ruin the experience.
Keep reading, as we will be discussing how to use ceiling speakers for TV in a way that they sound generic and real. We will also be discussing the connectivity options and also poll results conducted in a Facebook group.
Why is it, not a great idea, and how to make it great?
|Only ceiling speakers for TV||0%|
|Ceiling plus in-wall or other speakers on the ground for TV||100%|
Only ceiling speakers are not good for the experience we look for in a home theater. Because the ceiling speakers are made to shower the sound from above and the Dolby technology perfectly uses them to create object-based audio.
The Dolby Atmos needs to hit every coordinate of the sound. The effects on the screen need to be replicated with their exact coordinates but in the form of sound around you. That’s why the ceiling speakers are good.
But to get its magic you have to use in-wall speakers or any other speakers next to the TV along with the ceiling speakers in the connection. In this way, the dialogues will come out of the in-wall speakers that are close to the TV, and special effect sounds will come from above.
The center channel speaker needs to be at a 0-degree angle with you. After that, it can create a realism that we movie-buffs need.
By keeping the ceiling speakers with in-wall speakers in connection. You eliminate the desynchronization error that will occur while using only the ceiling speakers for TV.
Keep reading as I am telling you how to connect the ceiling speaker to the TV.
How to connect ceiling speakers to a TV without a receiver?
If you want to connect the ceiling speakers to the TV without a receiver, then there are two ways for you that you can follow.
Directly To The TV RCA Outputs (If your TV provides them)
For this type of connectivity. First, you require active ceiling speakers, and second, you need to convert simple speaker wire to RCA first. I have provided the below YouTube video to follow. This video will tell you how to convert simple wire to RCA.
- Connect the negative RCA of the speaker to the negative output of the TV and positive to positive
- Repeat this for all the ceiling speakers. One TV can provide RCA connectivity for 2-4 speakers
- The ceiling speaker is connected to the TV directly without a receiver
- Test it and you are good to go.
Read my this article to make the ceiling speaker sound the best. You will get a quick guide to instantly improve the sound quality of your ceiling speakers.
Here is the video. Follow this to make this connectivity option successful. Use common sense if you have 2 core speaker wires.
Connect it To The TV Through an Amplifier
- Get a small amplifier for your number of speakers
- Connect the TV via analog or optical cable to the amplifier.
- Connect the speaker wires to the amplifier
- Now, the speakers are connected to the TV via a small amp and without a receiver
- Test it and you are good to go
How to connect ceiling speakers to a TV with a receiver?
- Connect the TV ARC HDMI to the ARC of the receiver via HDMI cable.
- Connect all the speakers through wires to the receiver
- Play the TV and test the speakers.
- You are good to go.
Did you get something out of this ceiling speakers guide? Hold On We Have Something Exciting To Share.[the_ad id=”4771″]
Can any speaker be used for TV?
If you want to bring a receiver in the middle of the chain then yes you can use any speaker for TV but if you want to do it without a receiver or amplifier then you can use only active speakers for TV and all passive speakers will be of no use for this purpose.
Can ceiling speakers be used for surround sound?
It is the best idea to introduce the ceiling speakers to your surround sound because the Dolby Atmos effects are justified properly by these ceiling speakers.
The Dolby Atmos effects such as helicopters or birds flying on the screen should be felt like they are flying above you. That’s why you should incorporate the ceiling speakers with the surround sound.
Can Sonos ceiling speakers connect to the TV?
You can connect the Sonos ceiling speakers to the TV through the Sonos amp.
Sonos do provide their amp. They have their ecosystem. You can use this amp to connect the Sonos speakers.
Here is how you can connect:
- Connect the TV via optical to the Sonos amp
- Connect the speakers directly to the Sonos amp
- You have connected the Sonos ceiling speakers to the TV
Can you use stereo speakers with a TV?
You can use the stereo speakers with a TV by connecting them to a stereo amplifier. Get a stereo amplifier for yourself.
- Connect the TV through optical to the stereo amplifier
- Connect your stereo speakers to this amp through a wire
- You have successfully connected the stereo speakers to the TV
- Test it and you are good to go
Are in-ceiling speakers good for movies?
They are the best option for movies. Because now, the Dolby Atmos is a widely used and normal technology in this age. Many streaming services have a lot of Dolby Atmos content. We are watching a lot of movies nowadays on these streaming services in our homes. To completely utilize their potential, you must install in-ceiling speakers.
Also, almost every Blu-ray version of movies on a DVD has this Dolby Atmos version. I hope you might have got the idea by now why the in-ceiling speakers are important.
Helpful Resources For The FAQs To Read More
- This was my opinion. Know more about it with different connectivity options from Crutchfield. (Resource for the first answer)
- This was my opinion. Read more in detail about it from AudioMAv Blog. (Resource for the second answer)
- Here is Amazon’s choice Bluetooth-enabled stereo amplifier. You can control bass and treble with it too. (Resource for the fifth answer)
- Read my this best home theater ceiling speakers review. A few speakers’ features might shock you.(Resource for the sixth answer)